Bold New World: Storytelling Competition
2020 Storytelling Competition for International Students
Presented in partnership with Study Melbourne, this annual storytelling competition celebrates the important and diverse experiences and perspectives of international students across Victoria.
Entries are now closed.
Bold New World
Where there are crises, there are opportunities. Despite the undeniable disruptions from the pandemic, the world is thrust to reset.
Do you wish for an inclusive world of diversity, a sustainable world powered by clean energy and a circular economy, a borderless world connected by hybrid communications? What is your vision for the world after the end of COVID-19?
How has your background, personal story or education in Melbourne informed your values and beliefs for the future of the world? Imagination is the birthplace of a bold new world.
Entrants were invited to write a story between 500–1,000 words, or create a visual work, to share their vision of a bold new world.
Entrants could write, film, draw, or photograph something that represents their vision for their ideal future—personally, professionally or globally.
Written – High School (up to 500 words)
Written – English Language Training (up to 500 words)
Written – Vocational Education & Training (up to 500 words)
Written – Higher Education (up to 1,000 words)
Options include: a comic strip (up to 2 A4 pages); photo story board (minimum three images); video (maximum 5 minutes); or a single-page illustration.
Suggested topics include:
- community-led initiatives from Melbourne/my hometown that I love to see thriving to create a better world;
- social practices or local businesses from Melbourne/my hometown that I think can create a more sustainable world;
- a world where a systemic change you believe in leads to greater inclusion and diversity; and
- a positive—small or big—social change from the lockdown that you believe can advance the world or your experience of it.
- 10am AEST, 14 August – Competition opens
- 10am AEST, 11 September – Competition closes
- 10am AEST, 21 September – Shortlist announced, People’s Choice voting begins
- 10am AEST, 30 September – Voting closes for People’s Choice
- 15 October – Awards presentation and winners announced
Each category winner will have their work published online and receive a whole-food meal box—catering to two people for one week—delivered by Laneway Greens, and a gift certificate from the Peninsula Hot Springs valued at $100 AUD.
For further information, please contact Development Coordinator Winnie Tsang at email@example.com