Bold New World: Terms & Conditions
Terms and conditions for the Brave New World storytelling competition for international students.
Terms and Conditions
Your participation in the “Bold New World” Competition 2020 (‘the Competition’) constitutes your deemed acceptance of the following terms and conditions. All information on the “Bold New World” Competition, including how to enter and prize details, forms part of these terms and conditions of entry to it. By entering the Competition,
you agree to be bound by all terms and conditions.
The Parties to these Terms and Conditions
The Promoter of the Competition is Melbourne Writers Festival and/or any agent or representative acting on behalf of Melbourne Writers Festival, including Study Melbourne (‘the Promoter’).
You are the ‘Competition Participant’.
How to Enter
To enter the Competition, you must comply with and fully and accurately complete the Competition entry form.
General Conditions of Entry
It is a condition of entry in the Competition that you can prove that you are an international student currently enrolled at an educational institution in Victoria.
You must be currently studying and enrolled in an education program in Melbourne or regional Victoria and you must be able to provide suitable proof of your student identity number and current enrolment in an education program in Melbourne or regional Victoria.
You must be over 18 years old to enter the Competition or have explicit permission of your parent or guardian.
Employees and interns of Melbourne Writers Festival and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter the Competition.
You are advised to keep your own original photographs or documents and to submit only useable, non-returnable copies to the Competition. The Promoter is not responsible for, and will not replace, a document, image or photograph, that is lost damaged or stolen by any means and may not be able to return any submitted materials.
The Competition opens at 10am AEST on Aug 14, 2020 and closes at 10am AEST on Sept 11, 2020.
Winners and entrants shortlisted for People’s Choice will be notified via email and/or phone between Oct 1 -2, 2020.
Entries shortlisted for the People’s Choice prize will be displayed on the Melbourne Writers Festival website from 10am AEST on Sept 21, 2020. Voting for People’s Choice closes at 10am AEST on Sept 30, 2020.
All winners, including People’s Choice selection, will be publicly announced and prizes presented on Oct 12, 2020. The event is however subject to Covid 19 social restrictions and public safety management undertaken by the Promoter at the time.
Entries must be submitted via the Melbourne Writers Festival website, using the Competition entry form, and a fully completed, accurate and truthful Competition entry form is a condition of entry to the Competition.
Entries must be submitted in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .png, or .jpg format. Entries consisting of written work must be submitted in English. One entry into the Competition per person is allowed.
General Conditions of Participation
As a Competition Participant:
- You acknowledge and agree that you are the original creator and owner of the photographs/images/written work submitted to the Competition.
- You acknowledge and agree that you have obtained the permission of the person or persons (or their parents or guardians) appearing in any photographs or images or written work and they have consented for the photograph/image/work to be entered in the Competition and published and viewed by the public in any way.
- You further acknowledge that the subject(s) of the photograph/image/written work consent for it to be treated in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- You acknowledge and agree that you have made reasonable endeavours to ensure that the privacy of no specific individual is or is likely to be breached by publication of your photographs/images/written work.
- You acknowledge and agree that by uploading your photographs, images or written work, or a third party’s photographs, images or written work, onto the Promoter’s website and any related websites, anything you upload or post may be copied, downloaded, forwarded or used generally by a third party who may be accessing those sites over which the Promoter has no control and for which the Promoter is not responsible.
- You acknowledge and agree that any submitted photographs/images/works were not taken or
obtained in circumstances of trespass or invasion of any person’s legal right to privacy, or in breach of any industrial law or other law, or applicable industry code.
- You acknowledge and consent for each photograph/image/written work submitted to the Competition to be subject to the approval of the Promoter. You further acknowledge and consent to the Promoter’s right to remove any photograph/image/written work or part of a photograph/image/written work from the Competition or its websites or other publication without notice for any reason whatsoever.
- You acknowledge and consent to the reproduction and publication of your photograph(s)/image(s)/written work(s)in all publicity and promotion of the Promoter and Study Melbourne inclusive of all electronic or print media at the discretion of the Promoter.
- You warrant that no photograph/image/written work submitted by you into this Competition has been stolen/taken from or submitted to any other competition, promotion or applied to any other commercial use.
- You warrant that no photograph/image/written work submitted by you will contain viruses, other harmful material or content, or cause injury or harm to any person or business.
- You will comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, those governing copyright, content, defamation, privacy, publicity and the access or use of others’ computer or communication systems.
- You are fully responsible for each photograph/image/written work you submit and responsible for any equipment, materials, licenses or other costs required for or associated with each such photograph/image/written work.
Criteria for Disqualification
As a Competition Participant, you acknowledge that the following may lead to disqualification from Competition:
You must not upload onto the internet pornographic, obscene, indecent, offensive, racist, threatening, abusive, defamatory, vulgar or blasphemous photographs/images/written work or
photographs/images/written work promoting discrimination, hatred or violence.
- You must not infringe any other person’s copyright or moral rights.
- Your photographs/images/written work must not, to the best of your knowledge, defame anyone.
- Your conduct in shooting the photograph/recording any image/writing any work must not have been misleading or deceptive.
- You must not submit an advertisement or a photograph designed in any way to sell a product orservice or increase traffic to any other website.
- You must not breach the Competition Terms and Conditions.
- You must not submit any material that is otherwise objectionable
If the Competition is interfered with in any way or it cannot be conducted as reasonably anticipated by the Promoter, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorised intervention or fraud, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law:
1. to disqualify any eligible participant; or
2. subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as appropriate.
ThePromoter reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Competition or to be acting in violation of these Terms and Conditions.
The Promoter reserves the right to reject, disqualify, remove or moderate any entry that it determines:
- is or may be discriminatory, racist, hateful, violent, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, blasphemous, pornographic, profane or indecent, offensive or unlawful or photographs/images/written work promoting discrimination, hatred or violence
- infringes or may infringe any other person’s copyright or moral rights or may defame anyone;
- your conduct in shooting the photograph/recording any image may have been misleading or deceptive;
- advertises or is otherwise designed to sell a product or service or increase traffic to any other website;
- does not comply with these Terms and Conditions; or
- is otherwise objectionable.
Such determinations are in the absolute discretion of the Promoter and discussions will not be entered into.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
As a Competition Participant you warrant that each photograph or image or written work submitted to the Competition is your original work and does not infringe the rights of any third party, including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal, moral, confidentiality or proprietary rights.
It is a condition of your participation in the Competition and your eligibility for a prize that you grant to the Promoter a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, publish, distribute and communicate the photographs, images and written work you submit to the Competition. The purposes of that licence includes publicising and promoting the Melbourne Writers Festival and/or Study Melbourne and use on the Melbourne Writers Festival and related websites, social media and other digital media and in electronic and print promotions.
The Promoter will use reasonable endeavours to attribute authorship of photographs or written work submitted to the Competition in good faith. However, it is a condition of your participation in the Competition and your eligibility for a prize that you irrevocably and unconditionally consent to any of the Promoter’s acts or omissions in relation to your moral rights in the photographs or images or written work that you submit to the Competition.
It is a condition of your participation in the Competition and your eligibility for a prize that to the fullest extent that is permitted by laws applicable to your photographs or images or written work, you waive your moral rights and rights in the nature of moral rights in any photographs or images or written work submitted to the Competition.
It is a condition of your participation in the Competition and your eligibility for a prize that you agree that the Promoter has the unlimited right to alter and/or use the photographs or images or written work for the purposes set out in these Terms and Conditions and you will not permit, support, commence or maintain any action or proceeding on the ground that any act or omission of the Promoter in relation to your photographs or images or written work infringes any of your moral rights or rights in the nature of moral rights.
If any prize is not, or cannot, be claimed for any reason, the entry will be deemed ineligible. As a Competition Participant, you consent to the Promoter using your name and photograph for promotional purposes, if you win a prize. Your photograph and name may be published in publications of the Promoter, including social media. At your request, your name and photograph will be removed from any social media platform (but not necessarily any hard copy publication) a reasonable time after the Competition.
No prize can be transferred or redeemed for cash.
The Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence) for any personal injury or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity) whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Competition, including but not limited to:
1. any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control);
2. any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference;
3. any entry, prize, or claim for a prize that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether before or
after receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; 4. any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions;
5. any tax liability (including FBT) incurred by a winner or entrant; and
6. use of the prize(s).
When a winner is notified, he/she may be instructed to contact the Promoter to redeem the prize. The winners must contact the Promoter within 14 days of receiving such notification. Failure to contact the Promoter within this period may deem the winners no longer eligible to receive the prize without further notice from the Promoter. Any unclaimed prizes may be forfeited in Promoter’s sole discretion.
Where tickets to or participation in any event is a prize or form part of it, an entrant will be bound by the conditions of entry governing venues in which an event is held and agrees to follow and respect the Promoter, venue, event manager/holder’s, or their agents’, directions. The Promoter will not cover any other costs associated with winning or otherwise using a prize. Nor will the Promoter or other party be liable for any loss, damage, payment or expense of any kind (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss or damage caused by the Promoter’s or other party’s negligence) or personal injury or other damage suffered or sustained as a result of entering, judging, running, cancellation or acceptance, enjoyment or use of the Competition or a prize element or any aspect of or access to the Competition. The Promoter is not liable in any way if a winner cannot receive, accept or use a prize for any reason and the Promoter may award that prize to another winner.