The Capitol113 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000.
An extraordinary cinema, with ceilings indirectly lit in four colours, The Capitol (formerly the Capitol Theatre) was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin in ornate Chicago-gothic style. The cinema opened in 1924, and the dramatic lighting was used in conjunction with the orchestral scores during the early silent film era. It added drama for the filmgoer, and remains a spectacular sight today.
Accessible entry is via the lift in the Arcade. From Swanston Street, go past the stairs and the lift is on your right between the jewellers and the alteration shop. Separate lifts from the Foyer provide access to the Theatre.
Accessible parking is located on Little Collins Street. Federation Square car park also has a number of accessible car spaces on each level.
There are eight accessible and eight companion seats in the Theatre. Four of these spaces can be accessed from the Foyer level; the remaining four spaces are on the Salon level and can be accessed via the lift.
There is a hearing loop available for patrons with a T-switch hearing aid.
Train – this venue is approximately five minutes’ walk from Flinders Street Station or Melbourne Central Station.
Stop 6: Town Hall & Collins St – Routes 11, 12, 48, 109
Stop 11: Collins St & Swanston St – Routes 1, 3, 5, 6, 16, 64, 67, 7
Car – there are metred and/or timed parking spaces located on Russell Street and Exhibition Street. There are several nearby car parks, including Federation Square car park.